What is Jabber?
Cisco Jabber is a communication tool that allows you to make, receive phone calls and check your voicemail on your Windows or Mac laptop or iPhone or Android mobile device. You can look up employee extensions, keep a contact list of employees you call frequently and even check if they are available for a call using this software.
Cisco Jabber for Windows or Mac will be an option to use instead of your desk phone. In new environments, this will be the phone that is deployed instead of a desk phone. If you have a desk phone and Jabber on your mobile device, your phone will ring on both and you can choose to pick up either phone. You can also make calls like you normally make calls on your desk phone through Jabber. For further information, see the frequently asked questions below.
Cisco Jabber is available for the following platforms:
To use Cisco Jabber within Seneca College's network, please use SenecaNET only.
- Device requirement for Cisco Jabber for Android
Requirement Cisco Jabber for Android Operating Systems 4.4 or later
Minimum operating system version will be 5.0 in the next major Cisco Jabber release.
CPU 1.5 GHz dual-core
Recommended: 1.2-GHz quad-core or higher
Display For two-way video: 480p x 800p or higher
For IM only: 320p x 480p or higher
- Device requirement for Cisco Jabber app for iOS
Apple Device Generation iPhone 5, 5c, 5s, 6, 6 Plus, iPhone SE, 6s, and 6s Plus, 7 and 7 Plus, 8 and 8 Plus, iPhone X, XR, XS, and XS Max, and Apple Watch
- Device requirements for Cisco Jabber for Mac
Requirement Cisco Jabber for Mac Operating Systems macOS Mojave 10.14 or later
macOS High Sierra 10.13 or later
macOS Sierra 10.12 or later
OS X El Capitan 10.11 or later
Installed RAM 2 GB RAM Free physical memory 1 GB Free disk space 300 MB CPU speed and type Intel Core 2 Duo or later processors in any of the following Apple hardware:
- Mac Pro
- MacBook Pro (including Retina Display model)
- MacBook Air
- Mac Mini
I/O ports USB 2.0 for USB camera and audio devices.
- Device requirement for Cisco Jabber for Windows
Requirement Cisco Jabber for Windows Operating Systems Microsoft Windows 10, 32 and 64 bit (Desktop OS x86)
Microsoft Windows 8.x, 32 and 64 bit
Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 or later, 32 and 64 bit
Installed RAM 2 GB RAM Free physical memory 128 MB Free disk space 256 MB CPU speed and type AMD Mobile Sempron Processor 3600+ 2 GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7400 @ 2. 16 GHz
GPU DirectX11 on Microsoft Windows 7 I/O ports USB 2.0 for USB camera and audio devices.
Getting Started with Jabber
To convert from your desk phone to Cisco Jabber, have your authorized supervisor or manager send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the operating system of your preferred desktop and/or mobile phone. You can download the software below but it will not be enabled until the request is completed.
Download and Install
Download and install the Jabber application. Select your platform.
The user guides below describe some of the features of Cisco Jabber and teach users how to navigate the app and perform some basic functions.
How do I make a call with Jabber?
Note that Cisco Jabber is exactly like a desk phone with the same rules. If you want to call an extension, you dial the five digit extension number. If you want to call an external number, you dial 9 and then the external phone number. Long distance calls also work the same way as on a desk phone.
How do I receive a call with Cisco Jabber?
I have Extension Mobility now, can I use Jabber instead?
- For Shared Phone Users: We have some phone users who share a telephone. With Cisco Jabber installed on your laptop, you no longer need to share a phone because each person sharing the phone can have Cisco Jabber installed.
- For Users who frequently travel to different campuses: With Cisco Jabber on your laptop, you no longer need to use Extension Mobility because your phone is on your laptop and you can make calls at any campus via Seneca’s Wi-Fi. You can also have the option to install Cisco Jabber on your mobile phone. The only exception may be for Call Center agents who need to log into Finesse to take Call Center calls.